Email marketing has been around since the days before digital marketing was even a thing. A solid email marketing strategy has withstood the test of time.
Email marketing has only gotten better and continues to give good returns to those who use it as a communication tool.
With a good email marketing strategy B2B, the ROI of email marketing hovers around $38 per 1$ spent. It is a 3800% return; no other means have returned close to it.
The cherry on the cake is the running cost. It is a fraction of different types of marketing tools; direct marketing is ten times more expensive to run!
Email marketing strategy and content has evolved over the years. Email marketing today is a multibillion-dollar industry and has reached the pinnacle of digital marketing excellence. As with evolution, the bad has been removed and replaced with best practices; the same applies to email marketing.
How and Why Email Marketing is Incredibly Effective?
Certain aspects of email marketing that makes it undeniably attractive and with the right email marketing strategy in place, you can do wonders. Here are a few of them.
- More than 5.6 billion email accounts exist today. It is expected to grow by 7% every year. (Statista)
- Of the above, 3.9 billion are active or checked at least once a day, and no social media platform has these numbers. (Statista)
- Marketers who used segmented campaigns noted as much as a 760% increase in revenue. (Campaign Monitor, 2019)
- Metrics are transparent, precise and easy to analyze.
- Interactions and engagement are high with consistently good quality content such as interactive PDF resources, info blogs, videos, etc.
- It does not require much effort to run an email campaign, and the results are almost immediate.
Thank to the technology and the diversified taste of the demography that email marketing has evolved to the state that it is today. When it hit the big time, the ugly head of spam surfaced. People were bogged down by the ever-increasing influx of emails for which they did not sign up.
However, it has resulted in high standards of email delivery, IP reputation, and SPAM scoring. It is a good thing to allow users to be able to pick and choose what they see and read. Organizations now were looking for a great email marketing strategy that will make them stand out of the crowd and noise and reach the right audience.
Therefore, for email marketers, the emails getting into an inbox is a victory in itself. Being able to sustain this and converting readers into leads, and eventually, a customer is what the crux of the entire email marketing strategy is today.
Breaking through to your target audience is not easy, and hence, when an email marketing strategy is sound, all the pieces line up beautifully. Any good email marketer will vouch by the fact that staying relevant, simple, and easy to read is essential to stay ahead of the competition.
Gone are the days of writing copy like the hawkers on the street selling their wares. It needs to be interesting, engaging, and most importantly, relevant.
How can you have a great strategy?
Email marketing strategy is essential, and it needs to be taken care of to achieve your goals. These goals depend on the industry you work in, the results you are looking for and also the target audience.
To make things simpler, let’s focus on broad-spectrum rules that apply to all, irrespective of what you are looking.
- Keeping the copy readable and exciting– This is one of the most significant issues faced by the email marketing industry. With SPAM being an important issue, if your text is irrelevant not only will the readers reject it, your ISP will do the same too. Ensure that your copy is up to the standards of email marketing. There are specific ways to ensure it.
- Research the target audience and understand their needs and wants.
- Tie it to your solutions and make the copy interesting to the reader.
- Ensure that your landing pages echo the same idea and theme that you picked in the email. There should not be a disconnect. If there is, it shows an apparent lack of effort and sincerity, which is unacceptable today.
- Create content that engages, people today have the attention span of a goldfish. Keep them interested, and they will look forward to your next mailer.
- Subject lines matters, they are the first impression creators, and we all know, the first impression is the best.
- Make sure you send only to the right people– This is an integral part of building sender reputation. Too many unsubscribe requests are fishy. An opt-in list of the email list is what you need. It means that the receivers have permitted you to message them. It is not easy to create an opt-in inventory of email sending list. However, once have created one, there is absolutely nothing that can come close to its effectiveness.
- Campaigns are not just a fancy word for sending emails– It should be a well thought out process. It should have steps, progression charts, and result-oriented stages. A campaign should have a definite goal, and everything that comes in between should be in tune with this goal. An email campaign that holds exciting to its purpose will see higher conversions.
A case in point is the fantastic email campaigns run by Barrack Obama, President of the United States for his re-election. All in all, the campaign brought in $700 million in funding with one email bringing in a whopping $3 million! It is one of the most successful email campaigns ever run. How did he do it?
He connected with the audience in an informal, straight forward, and severe manner. The campaign track was well laid out, with emails going out at the right time and reaching the right people. Getting an email signed by the President is undoubtedly cool, and he struck a chord with the voters- the rest is history.
Be consistent, practical, and get to the point fast. These are simple yet difficult tricks to master when it comes to email marketing. The more natural the email is to understand, the faster will you get a reaction.
Email isn’t going anywhere. It’s reliable and rooted, and many smart email marketers are using it to its best potential. You too can do the same, with a guided and planned mission to entertain, educate, and gain the trust of your readers.