Email Append API: Why does it Matter to Your Marketing Team?
If you are an industry veteran in the marketing business, then two words in the headline- email appending and API will make sense to you. For those who are unclear about them, here is a brief explanation.
Application program interface (API) is a set of routines, protocols, and tools for building software applications. An API specifies how software components should interact.
The topic of discussion here is the integration of email appending and API keys.
The quest for higher performance, better results, and faster tools is the reason we are here. And API key simplifies functionalities. It is a bridge that is created to make the use of various types of software easier. In a database marketing sense, it means easy to upload, download, running processes and usage.
Without API integration, the world would have slowed down considerably. It has tremendous value in today’s connected world. A simple example can be how you are able to share music you listen to on YouTube onto your Facebook page. We rarely stop to consider how this is possible- they are 2 different platforms that are independent. The answer is an API key. Cross-platform functionality is vital today as you need the help of other players in your field to grow your market base. It is a symbiotic system that allows users to seamlessly migrate from one to another, and back.
How To Use Email Append API Integration
How will you go about cracking your database for good actionable information? The perfect solution is data management and email appending keys.
If you could take your database ( in-house or stored remotely), transfer it onto a platform, append it fully, partly or any way you want and then take it back to where you run your marketing campaigns, wouldn’t life be simple?
This is exactly what email append API integration tries to do. We shall take our own in-house example at Ampliz. We provide email API service and we have keys created for the following processes.
- Transferring data from external source to our platform- in your format of choice.
- Run append, cleanse and validation on this dataset.
- Transfer to the same location or different after the process is complete.
- You can also keep it within the platform and run campaigns on it.
1.1 Transfer of data from external sources is one of the most important features that any online marketing platform can provide. It enables marketers like never before. Before such integrations were a reality, you had to manually transfer the data from your server using file formats and upload it to another location. This meant a whole set of issues. File formats may be varied and this causes integration issues. Privacy issues surface when you are transferring data over an unsecured server/connection. Data loss is a threat as many file formats seem to simply devour data when you transfer or change file formats. There will be changes in the structure during and after transfer making it difficult for you to process it.
If there is a key for data transfer, all you need to do it hit the transfer button. Key in the location and the platform will take care of the rest. It will connect and acquire all the data you have and feed it into the server, in the format it was in.
2.1 Once you have actually managed to extract and transfer the data, it needs to be appended. It is not necessary that all data append service providers will allow you to upload any type of data and from any location. This brings about the complexity of confirming to their requirements so that you get your job done!
Here, all you need to do is fill out the fields that you think need appending and the AI will instruct the software to run the required processes. You can get reports on data quality from the platform itself so that you understand what actually needs to be done.
3.1 Once you are done with your append job, you need your data back. Most marketers prefer to take their data back and then run campaigns using their own tech or on other purely marketing based software. For this, you need to have your data in the right state, format, and type. These keys are designed to allow a seamless flow of said data between servers to whichever destination they prefer.
4.1 The latest trend is to complete the full process on the same platform as where the append job was conducted. Ampliz offers that ability. Keep the data on the platform and use the other services offered such as running email, social and other media-based campaigns. This decreases the time you need to run campaigns and you get on-demand analytics. The platform is available anywhere and at any time, allowing full liberty to run them. They provide all the necessary tools that you would require to run campaigns and full-time tech support.
The Email Append Key to Marketing Success
Here are 5 major ways in which email marketing API key integration will help you maximize returns from email marketing.
Key 1: Real-Time Access
The major issue with databases is accessibility. With this type of integration, you have access to all your data immediately. It makes it easy to use, transfer and run programs on it. You can use data in any format, any service interface and it uses HTTP status code filters for error processing- a lot faster than other interfaces.
Key 2: Secure and Reliable
With this type of integration, your biggest fear of data theft and leakage is plugged effectively. Each key is unique and is created and delivered based on IP values and protected with various levels of encryption. They offer 2 levels of authentication which are UI and management. You can create multiple secret credentials allowing full security or sensitive data.
Key 3: Fast Retrieval
Retrieving and using data multiple times from various sources or your CRM can be cumbersome and risky. Integration with API will allow you to access and use data seamlessly over various data sources. With a key and a single command string, you can move any CRM data you have in-house or otherwise to a single server, fast. You can have access to data without logins by using these keys, especially if you are using data that isn’t stored in-house.
Key 4: Multiple Data Sources
You can source data from multiple sources with an API interface and deliver it to a single server. Any email marketing service provider who wants to transfer their data to a marketing automation platform can do so seamlessly and quickly by using these keys. You can string together multiple data sources and channel them towards one single destination server, either in-house or outside.
Key 5: Seamless Integration
With the ability to integrate various source points and seamlessly transfer data, in any format, API keys allow you to decrease time spent on collating and collaborating various data sources manually and increase the speed of transfer. Size does not matter when it comes to integration and data transfer. It allows for data transfers in real time through various sources, remotely.
Major Benefits of Integration
- Security– It enhances security significantly. You don’t have to be transferring data all across the web via unsecured connections. Each key will be encrypted and tied to the individual user who has requested for it. Tracking of all interactions allows utmost security. All faults and breaches can be traced back to a single key.
- Improves User Experience– Your customers do not need to leave your site or app to find additional information. All you need is integration with the most commonly used websites for API data extraction and present it to them.
- Remote Access and Storage– This is a significant advantage with integration. You can store your data in secure locations via encryption. Cloud-based storage is common today and API integration for cloud-based storage improves security to a great level.
- Segmentation– You can post individual segments such as new subscribers, updated information, and opt-outs. Retrieve, update current segments, analyze and delete specific parts of segments, import segments or parts of segments with XML, and delete segment associations.
- Regularly Updated– You can update your data on the go, remotely with integration. This helps in keeping your data fresh and ready to go at any point of time. You can post all types of data simultaneous to your server or any other server with appropriate keys.
- Ecosystem to Keep CRM Data– API creates a secure environment for your data that can be accessed at anytime and anywhere. It gives you the ability to add and delete and also segment your data as per rules.
- IP reputation Increases– Since you are able to seamlessly add and remove data in real time; your database is stronger and cleaner. This makes your email marketing better and positively improves IP reputation- something every email marketer needs.
- Retrieve Data for Usage– You can retrieve data at any time you want to use it without falling back on delivery teams for access and transfer. This reduces time to market and you can concentrate on campaigns.
- Fresh Data is Available– You don’t have to wait to upload data every other day to your CRM. The key will automatically transfer any new data that comes in via sources. You can run append processes in real time which allows you to get fresh and updated data all the time.
- Improve Deliverability– Since your data is being updated and cleansed in real time, your email deliverability improves dramatically.
Solving CRM Data Management Challenges for your Marketing
With the increase in digital usage by customers, the spike in data collection was inevitable. Enterprises hoard data onto servers and this data can become a giant in no time. Extracting information from this can be a daunting task.
According to a D&B marketing statistics report, the average health rating given to their databases by marketing executives is at questionable.
What this means is that data decay, irrelevant and bad data collection have a negative impact on marketing processes.
Some of the many missing fields in databases:-
- 41% contacts lacked working phone number details.
- More than 66% of records had missing crucial details such as revenue, company.
- 82% missing employee information.
- 72% missing website domain.
These numbers are too large to ignore. If you are looking to sort these out, appending is the best way to do it. Email and data appending tactics are highly useful today in a world filled with lackluster data.
The point of focus will be how CRMs integrate data appending into their platform and how well they do it.
Some of the biggest CRM service providers like SugarCRM, MailChimp, and ConstantContact have mastered API usage within their respective platforms. It is basically a need-based upgrade that allows their users to easily upload contacts and also remove and transfer them whenever they want. This ease of function adds tremendous value to the platform and the users and also allows for faster time to market.
Issues with Database Management- Common to All
- Incorrect Information– This is and will remain one of the biggest problems faced by marketers. It isn’t easy to solve this very basic issue. The problem originates from the point of data collection. There is no relation between what is collected and what is eventually required. People are generally fearful about disclosing personal information. This has also affected data validity.
- Non-conclusive Data– This is directly related to the data collection point. If you are running email campaigns and end up asking for postal address, it doesn’t add up. CRM databases will give you insights into customer behavior only when you have all the information and correct information too.
- Expired Data– CRMs do not self-update and cleanse. This means that data decay becomes a terrible reality. All data decays and the current rate is 4 percent per quarter. Now if you have a database of any size, a yearly decrease of at least 10% is guaranteed. This leaves you with a niggling issue that has a direct effect on your marketing parameters.
- Privacy Issues– All data can be breached. It only takes one smart person sitting in any corner of the world with a laptop to get in. This is the reality of today’s connected world. The speed at which data innovation is going, security hasn’t been able to catch up. One data breach can easily affect millions across the world.
- Can’t Help with Finding New Prospects– CRMs can guide you on how to engage current customers. It cannot, however, tell you where new prospects are and what they are doing. It is completely up to the marketer to achieve this.
- Too Much to Handle– Large databases can easily touch terabytes of storage. Handling this, extracting information and using this information can be daunting, let alone the cost and time involved.
Email Marketing API- Various Types and Uses
There are various types of keys used by email marketing companies today. Some of the most commonly used ones are-
- Standard Access– These give users access to publically available end points of the platform
- Partner Access– This restricts usage by only partners. You need login credentials and clearance from the provider to use the platform while using partner keys
These keys allow users and partners to upload their databases and run email marketing campaigns from the platform itself. These API features reduce the rate of data transfer, improves results and you can track it at any time and from anywhere.
The process has been simplified to an extremely large extent today. Most providers have this following set of steps for you to run email campaigns.
- Generate new of use existing key. You have options to do that on the interface.
- Copy that particular key.
- Go to the interface dashboard and paste the key.
- Enter and start the campaign.
Each and every key is tracked so that fault resolution can be fast. Historical data can be a blessing when trying to understand why certain functionalities aren’t working.
There are certain issues associated with these keys too. If you are keen on using it, you should know about its demerits too.
- Cost– Creating and deploying a key is an expensive affair. From development to maintenance and other associated requirements such as support and documentation- integration is not an easy task and does not come cheap. Mind the hit to your budget before you commit to it.
- Business Consequence– You can never truly understand the effects of using an API interface within your website or app. Users may increase or decrease. It can create a new set of challenges for your business too.
- Security– Today, security is a major concern among online businesses. Adding API to your code adds another layer of security risk and you need to invest in it too. Security tracking and error correction are a costly business.
There are many more user level benefits of integration that we notice on a day to day basis. For marketers, it has surely helped decrease the time spent on projects, helped them to improve their data, protected their assets and made their marketing campaigns a lot better.